Elliot Robley, 1820-1898.

Elliot Robley, whose illness from stomach trouble, has been frequently listed in these columns, died at his home in this place, last Friday evening April 1, 1898, at 6:45 o'clock. His illness was of several months duration and the nature of it was such as to make his death the result of slow starvation. Not withstanding his extreme suffering, he was cheerful unto the last and died in a happy mood.

Mr. Robley was born in Newark, New Jersey, May 17, 1820. His father was a brick-maker and Elliot learned the business. The family moved to Spruce Creek when he was a boy. Upon reaching manhood he went to Shirley Township and there engaged in the brick business. Relinquishing this he became a teamster at Bells' Furnace, and Matilda Furnace. While in Shirley Township he became acquainted with Miss Hannah Susan Clemens whom he married August 12, 1840. She survives him. To them were born eleven children-six sons and five daughters. One son died in infancy and the surviving children are: Mrs. Hannah Miller, of Steele, North Dakota; Mrs. Elisah Fields, of Duncansville, John K. of Altoona, Mrs. L.D. Himes, of Mapleton, Marion, of Union Township, Mrs. W.D. Cree, of Braddock, Samuel and Miss Mattie, of Mapleton, Elliot and Harry, of Altoona.

Mr. Robley engaged in farming on farms in the vicinity of Mill Creek about 1852 and in 1856 purchased the farm in Brady township on which he resided until his removal to Mapleton a few years ago. Here he again engaged in the brick business and burned the brick for the fine brick mansion house which was swept away by the flood of 1889 and for a number of other buildings in this vicinity. On the same property he engaged in the sand business and was one of the pioneers in that industry which has been so valuable to the people of Mapleton. He conducted the business in connection with farming for about eighteen years. In 1875 he erected the first grist mill at Mapleton. This was destroyed by fire on the morning of October 25, 1880. Mr. Robley built another mill on the site of the one destroyed and July 20, 1881 it was put into operation. This mill was also destroyed by fire on Sunday morning, May 10, 1891. During the Civil War Mr. Robley served two years as a member of Company I, Nineteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry. He was a gallant soldier.

Mr. Robley united with the United Brethren Church more than half a century ago and he was an active member until ailments prevented his going in. Most of these years he had filled the position as class leader and hundreds were received from his lips the words of encouragement which urged them onto a better life. He organized the first Sunday school in this section in the old Corbin school that stood at the foot of Sideling Hill where the Smith Valley, Trough Creek and Mapleton Roads diverge. A series of meetings were held here and Mr. Robley prevailed upon the presiding elder who was journeying by to send them a preacher and Rev. **Master was sent to the work. This was the beginning of the United Brethren ministry in this section. The old church was torn down in 1893 and the new church at the corner of Grant and Sherman street erected.

Mr. Robley was good citizen and a kind neighbour, a friend to those in need and a comfort to the distressed.

The remains were interred Monday afternoon in the U.B. Cemetery, services being conducted in the U.B. Church by Rev. T.P. Orner, presiding elder, assisted by Revs. R.S. Woodward, Treverton, Campbell, Gilbert, of Mount Union, S.D. Wilson of Bellwood and Trimbath, of Shirleysburg. The large number of persons present attested the esteem in which Mr. Robley was held. The ITEM extends sympathy to the bereaved family and friends.

The family desire to express their gratitude to friends and neighbors for kindnessed rendered.